Make yourself at home.
Step 1 - First things First
- Enroll your students or get information on local childcare resources
- Are you a new business? Get assistance , get a license
- Wondering if you qualify for medical, food, and cash assistance programs? Find out and apply online.
- Renting? Know your Oakland rights.
- Just bought an investment property? Join EBRHA and learn the Oakland laws.
- Turn on the lights - Contact PG&E
Get your garbage, recycling and compost carts
- For stuff left over from the move and donations of salvageable goods, check out DonateOakland.org
- For broken items too big for the trash and not salvageable, schedule a bulky pickup
- Before you throw any thing away, check StopWaste.org for recycling and reuse information or search RecycleWhere.org for disposal options.
- Set up your water services account
- Get your dog license from the City
- Get a Library Card
- Register to Vote
- Update your Driver's license and learn how to get around with this overview of Oakland transit
- Extra moving boxes?
- Get the basics locally (shower curtains, sponges, toilet brushes, dish racks, housewares etc..) at KP Asian Market (Housewares annex), Cole Hardware Rockridge, or Grand Lake Ace Hardware. Head to Jack London Square to stock up at Markus Supply Ace, Bed Bath and Beyond, Cost Plus and nearby Smart and Final in Old Oakland or Chanco Housewares in Chinatown.
Step 2 - Safety check
If you see a life threatening emergency or crime actively in progress and are calling on a landline, call 9-1-1. If calling from a cell phone within Oakland, call 911 or 510-777-3211 (Oakland Emergency). To report an incident or crime after the fact or to report suspicious activity that is not life-threatening, call the non-emergency number 510-777-3333 (Oakland Non-Emergency).
Put these numbers in your phone:
Oakland Emergency: 911 or 510-777-3211
Report gas leaks and other gas/electrical emergencies:
Fire (medical or fire) emergency: 510-444-1616 (or 911 from a land line)
Public Works: 510-615-5566
City Maintenance Issues: 311 - firstname.lastname@example.org -
Report blight in public areas: 510-238-3381
- Sign up for Nixle alerts for urgent text and email updates from the Oakland Police Department (and others).
- Review Oakland Safety Tips from the Oakland Police Department and learn how to report crimes in Oakland (including dumping, online reporting and how to respond depending on the incident type)
- Find out if your neighborhood has a CORE committee and join their lists. Eventually, you can get CORE trained to help you, your family and neighbors respond in an emergency
- Join (or start) an Oakland Neighborhood Watch group
- Print out these Helpful Phone Numbers at the City of Oakland (pdf)
- Bookmark these Helpful links and resources for Residents
- Make sure your home is safe and your household is prepared for an earthquake, and in particular, The Big One.
- If you live in an apartment, homeowner or condo association, make sure you have the manager's emergency and non-emergency number handy and understand the emergency procedures.
- If you live in the hills, be sure to familiarize yourself with the history of the 1991 Oakland Firestorm and annual wildfire inspections. Check out the public safety resources of the North Hills Community Association.
- Sign up for PGE alerts and notifications.