Resources for building a family friendly Oakland
Oakland! We can make our city more family-friendly by learning from others who have prioritized families in their planning decisions. Here are some resources we've collected to help give us a head start.
- OUSD - Blueprint for Quality Schools Background Report, Summer 20017
- A Roadmap Toward Equity: Housing Solutions for Oakland, California, PolicyLInk 2015
Other Cities Leading the Way
Ideas From Around the World
- Taking Action for Child Friendly Places: Strategic Approach & Action Plan for Belfast - June 2016
This action plan is based on extensive engagement with children across Belfast and aims to begin a process of creating Child Friendly Places in Belfast by responding to the priorities they identified.
Other Resources and Coverage
- Parents Paving the Way for Family-Friendly Urban Living - January 2018 - Jennifer Griffins, Strong Towns
- Families WILL Choose to Live Downtown, If We Design for Kids! Sept 2012, Brent Toderian of Toderian UrbanWorks
- 8 80 Cities - A nonprofit working to make cities work for all ages
- Governing Magazine coverage on families in cities (Nov 2015), included census tables on affordability and demographics:
- Downtown Families, Sarah Snider Komppa, August 2015